In general, the Competencies Program is the system used in recruiting, developing, evaluating, compensating and retaining employees. The program also helps in providing a clearer description of an employee's career path and expectations.
Structure and Terminology
Job Family - is a group of jobs that serve a similar overall function. (ex: Information Technology, Human Resources, etc)
Job Category - is a further delineation of a job family that allows similar job functions to be combined for purposes of evaluation and management of that function (ex: System Applications within the IT Job Family)
Job Title - is associated with a job based upon the required competencies and responsibilities of that position (ex: Programmer/Analyst)
Level - represents the knowledge and skills required for each job (not all jobs have five levels)
- Level 1 - Baseline
- Level 2 - Intermediate
- Level 3 - Proficient
- Level 4 - Advanced
- Level 5 - Mastery
Competencies are a combination of the knowledge and skills needed to effectively perform a role in an organization.
The five key competencies are:
Effective Knowledge is the sum total of education, training, skill and experience required to perform the job to the normally expected standard. This encompasses the depth, scope, integration, and application of skills within and outside the body of knowledge or specialty applicable to an individual job category.
Accountability and Self Management is the degree to which a position requires self direction and the degree of personal accountability required for the work accomplished. It involves responsibility for oversight and providing reports of actions, causes, and results.
Teamwork and Leadership is the degree to which a position must function in a group and the degree of leadership exercised.
Communication is the nature and scope of the communication activity required by a position on a regular basis.
Innovation and Problem Solving is the type of problem resolution, quality improvement activity and/or process and procedure development undertaken in the position.
Presentations and Additional Resources
- Competencies Program and Transition Overview Presentation w/audio (Adobe Connect)
- Competencies Program Transition Overview w/audio (Adobe Connect) - This is a condensed version of the above presentation and focuses primarily on the transition process.
- Competencies "101": What is the Competencies Program? w/audio (Coming Soon) - This presentation will provide an overview of the Competencies Program structure and the basics for functioning within the Program.
- Non-Management Core Comptency Matrix
- Management Core Comptency Matrix