Step 2: Mid-Year Check-In
The Mid-Year Check-In ensures that individuals are on target and keeps all participants engaged in the process. It also ensures that managers and staff members meet at least once each year to check-in on and have a conversation regarding progress towards goals, any challenges or concerns, things that are going well, etc. The mid-year check-in is the only conversation, besides beginning of the year and end-of-year that is required. However, managers are encouraged to meet more frequently and as needed with their staff throughout the year.
The Mid-Year Check-In is important as it allows supervisors to more easily monitor employee performance and progress; gives an opportunity to share observations, re-iterate expectations and update goals if necessary.It also gives the employee the opportunity to share updates and hear from their supervisor their views on how they're performing and discuss expectations.
Click on one of the links below to register for an Adobe Connect session to learn how to complete Step Two (choose the session that relates to your role within the YOU@PSU process):
- YOU@PSU: Performance Management - Giving & Receiving Feedback for Individual Contributors – Giving & Receiving Feedback for Individual Contributors
- YOU@PSU: Performance Management - Giving & Receiving Feedback for All Supervisors of full-time staff – Giving & Receiving Feedback for Supervisors
Training Materials Available
- Giving and Receiving Feedback - Supervisors (PPT)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback - Supervisors (PDF)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback - Non-Supervisors (PPT)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback - Non-Supervisors (PDF)
In order to conduct the Mid-Year Check-In, the following occurs:
- The employee schedules an appointment with the supervisor and provides an update of goal performance to that point, this can be done by going into the YOU@PSU system and updating their goal progress in the notes section.
- The employee and supervisor discuss overall performance and review goals; if necessary, adjustments can be made to goals at this point. No formal evaluation or ratings are needed for this conversation
- Both the employee and supervisor document that the conversation happened after it takes place in the YOU@PSU system
- The employee will adjust goals in the YOU@PSU system if necessary and the supervisor will approve these adjustments