Workforce diversity, cultural inclusiveness, and employment equity are deeply rooted in Penn State's historic mission. Just as we are committed to being a diverse educational environment, we are also committed to being a diverse working community. As a community, we endeavor to be a kaleidoscope of cultural backgrounds, life experiences, individual perspectives, and numerous other characteristics that add variety and vitality to the workplace.
Diversity at our University is a plan of action-a formal strategic initiative called A Framework to Foster Diversity. The plan keeps us on course for recruitment from underrepresented groups, as well as for retention of diverse employees through targeted mentoring, leadership development, diversity-related courses, performance recognition, and other initiatives.
Affirmative Action Office
The Affirmative Action Office is a service organization that supports and enhances the University’s commitment to diversity in recruitment and retention of those historically underrepresented in the workforce. Within the Affirmative Action Office are:
- Diversity Support & Education Center, whose services include needs assessment, educational workshops, and support/mentoring
- Diversity Education Services, an educational and support system providing diversity educational programs for the entire Penn State system
Employee Affinity Groups
Campuses of the University maintain or are host to active commissions, committees and organizations that support the needs of individuals from minority groups within society and within the workplace.
- Commission for Adult Learners
- Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity
- Commission on Racial/Ethnic Diversity
- Commission for Women
- Equal Opportunity Planning Committee
- Veterans Outreach
Programs & Services
Opportunity Network for Employment (ONE) Program
ONE Program is committed to assisting individuals with disabilities in seeking employment with Penn State’s University Park Campus.
Throughout the year, representatives participate in recruiting events at various locations.
The Diversity Mentoring Program is designed to provide each new underrepresented racial/ethnic employee in the division of Finance and Business (F&B) with a mentor to assist them in performing successfully in their current positions.
Diversity Training Programs
The Center for Workplace Learning & Performance offers several diversity-related courses to employees. Course titles include:
- Valuing Diversity through Teamwork
- Emotional Intelligence: A Component of Diversity
- It’s Not so Simple Anymore: Working with Diverse Customers