New Medical ID cards for 2017
This message outlines the timeframe and subsequent action by Highmark for processing all 2017 Open Enrollment elections. Due to monthly payroll for December running on Friday, December 16, 2016, the Open Enrollment changes will be transmitted to Highmark on Monday, December 19, 2016.
Highmark ID cards and debit cards (when applicable) will be mailed out and delivered by mid-to-late January, as outlined below:
Employees who are remaining in the PPO Blue plan for 2017 WILL receive new Highmark ID cards. PPO Blue members enrolled in the VBBD program for 2016 will need to RE-ENROLL for 2017 by enrolling via the Highmark member web portal or calling Highmark. PPO Blue members may join the VBBD program at any time through the year for services going forward, by enrolling online via the Highmark member web portal or by calling Highmark Blue Shield at 800-914-4384. VBBD information available at: /content/value-based-benefit-design-0
Employees who are enrolled in the Health Care FSA for 2017: The entire yearly amount you pledged for 2017 during Benefits Open Enrollment is expected to be in your Highmark FSA account by January 6, if not sooner. If you were enrolled in the health care FSA in 2016, please continue to use your current FSA debit card. If you are new to the Health Care FSA for 2017, you will receive a new debit card from Highmark mid-January. As soon as funds are in your account, you can also pay your provider or reimburse yourself online via the Highmark member web portal.
REMINDER: After December 31, 2016, the FSA debit card can only be used to access the 2017 account and be used to pay for services that were rendered in 2017. FSA funds can only be used to pay the current years claims. To access any funds that remain in your 2016 FSA, you will need to use the Highmark web portal or submit paper FSA claim forms. Please contact Highmark at 800-914-4384 if you have any questions regarding this process.
Employees who are in the PPO Blue for 2016 and switching to the PPO Savings Plan for 2017 will receive several mailings:
- New medical ID cards from Highmark will be generated and mailed for delivery in mid-January. Those needing their ID # information prior to receiving the new card should contact Highmark at 800-914-4384. With this ID # information, virtual ID cards can also be printed via the Highmark member web portal.
- One Health Savings Account (HSA) debit card will be mailed to you as soon as your HSA is established with Bank of America, typically in mid-January. Additional debit cards for eligible dependents can be requested via the member web portal.
- The Penn State contribution will be deposited into your HSA in mid-to-late January. For those who are making additional payroll contributions, deductions will be taken from the first payroll cycle after the HSA is established. Keep in mind it takes a few days for your payroll contribution to reach your account - you cannot use funds from the HSA until the money is physically in the account.
- Health Savings Account Welcome Kits from Highmark will be mailed and arrive by mid-January, which will explain the plan in greater detail.
- Employees moving from a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) in 2016 to an HSA in 2017 will receive a new HSA debit card in mid-to-late January. FSA debit cards will be deactivated on December 31, 2016 at midnight and the HSA debit card will be effective January 1, 2017.
- HSA information available at: http://ohr.psu.edu/benefits/insurance/health/hsa
Employees who are remaining in the PPO Savings plan for 2017 will NOT receive new Highmark ID cards or new HSA debit cards, but will continue to use the current cards. The Penn State contribution will be available for use in early-to-mid January, as the HSA has already been established.
Employees who are in the PPO Savings plan currently, but are switching to the PPO Blue plan 2017, WILL receive new ID cards from Highmark in mid-to-late January. You will also receive information from Bank of America pertaining to your Health Savings Account (HSA), as you own any of the funds remaining in that account, for use going forward for eligible expenses.
Part-Time Employees who have become eligible through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) as of January 1, 2017 will receive Highmark ID cards in mid-to-late January, specific to the health plan in which enrolled. If you were eligible under ACA in 2016 and are also eligible in 2017, and are continuing with the same ACA health plan enrollment in 2017, you will be able to continue using your same Highmark ID cards.
Dental (United Concordia, 800-423-8217) and Vision (Highmark Vision, 800-9144384) ID cards are automatically generated ONLY for those who have newly elected either or both of these plans for January 1, 2017. Additional or replacement ID cards for either of these plans can be obtained by calling United Concordia or Highmark Vision.
Non-Medicare Eligible Retirees: All non-Medicare eligible retirees enrolled in the PPO Blue plan for 2017 WILL receive a new ID card from Highmark; PPO Savings Plan retirees for 2017 WILL NOT receive a new ID card from Highmark, for January 1, 2017. Those enrolled in the VBBD program for 2016 will need to RE-ENROLL for 2017, by enrolling via the Highmark member web portal or calling Highmark. PPO Blue members may join the VBBD program at any time throughout the year for services going forward only, by enrolling online via the Highmark Member website or by calling Highmark Blue Shield at 800-914-4384. VBBD information available at: /content/value-based-benefit-design-0