Educational privileges are available to regular full-time faculty and staff members, their spouse, and their unmarried children. The grant-in aid is for 75% of the tuition charge and applies to Penn State resident instruction and continuing education credit courses. (See University policies HR-36 and HR-37)


Educational privileges apply to all resident instruction, continuing education, and World Campus credit courses except:

  • The College of Medicine, Medical School Program and Physician's Assistant Program, at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
  • The Smeal College of Business Administration Executive MBA Program
  • The Dickinson School of Law

Also, the privileges do not apply at summer camps or workshops operated by the University, unless, University credit is given and regular tuition is charged.


As an active employee, the 75% grant-in-aid is applicable the semester which begins with, or next follows, your effective date of full-time employment.

If you are on a 12-month appointment, there is a 16 credit maximum per academic year.

If you are appointed for Fall and Spring semesters only, there is a 12 credit maximum per academic year.

The academic year begins with the summer session. All levels of degree may be earned.


A spouse, except one receiving educational assistance from the University, such as a graduate assistantship, is eligible for the grant-in-aid beginning two years from your date of regular employment. There is no limitation on the number of credits that may be taken. All levels of degrees may be earned.


Unmarried children are eligible beginning with the semester coincident with or next following your effective date of full-time employment. The grant-in-aid applies only until a dependent child receives a bachelor's degree from Penn State or any other college or university.


Employees wishing to use the tuition discount for themselves do not need to submit any forms.  This will be an automatic process through the Bursar's Office to apply the discount.

Active employees applying for the grant-in-aid for an eligible dependent must use the Online Grant-In-Aid Form (link below).  The request needs to be made within the first semester that the dependent is eligible for the tuition discount.  The request does not need to be made again, unless the dependent has missed more than 2 consecutive semesters of class; a new request will be required in this instance.